PRENATAL CLASSES WITH HESED BIRTH
If you’re looking for modern prenatal classes, evidence informed childbirth education, and practical birth prep workshops, look no further.
Hesed Birth has it all!
Our prenatal classes are designed to:
- calm your nerves
- ease your fears
- answer your questions
- tell it straight
- increase your confidence
- provide you with empowering knowledge
- teach you helpful skills
- get you ready to birth
- grow your resilience
- and prepare you for life with your baby!
Our prenatal classes and workshops are based on our years of experience as birth professionals, on fascinating birth research, and on the many families who have shared their journeys of pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum with us. Oh, and we’re mamas too (with 13 kids collectively)!
We would be honoured to be a part of your journey.
Why should I take prenatal classes from Hesed?
Great question. It’s true that you have a lot of options for prenatal classes, and we want you to find the best fit for you.
Hesed Birth’s prenatal classes are for you if:
- you want to get past the fluff and superficiality of pregnancy/baby world and dig a little deeper into the meaning of childbirth and explore the how, the why, and the why not?
- you recognize that having a baby is deeply transformational, and you want instructors who get it – that this is sacred, a rite of passage, the birth of a new family, the making of YOU
- you want to be treated like the intelligent, informed individual that you are. You’ve done your research and are ready for some real talk about the realities of birth and postpartum
- you are not the passive type. You are proactive. You like to have both knowledge AND practical skills AND mental strategies to make your birth experience better as it is unfolding in real time
- you are curious, open, and willing to explore new or even surprising ideas that have the potential to revolutionize your birth
- you want the benefit from learning from a team of birth educators who bring knowledge and experience from other healthcare related spaces (namely psychotherapy, pelvic health physiotherapy, labour and delivery nursing, and more)
Get more specific faq about our in-person prenatal classes in London, Ontario.
How do your live virtual workshops work?
The way modern parents learn about birth is evolving. They have tons of info at their fingertips through the internet. And they also have full schedules and can’t always commit spending an entire weekend at a prenatal class. In most prenatal classes, there often isn’t a lot of time to get into the nitty-gritty of a specific topic. And sometimes you need to go deep.
So we designed mini-workshops to meet this need! These mini workshops feature birth topics that are worth doing a deep dive on. We focus on one topic per workshop (for example, preparing to breastfeed).
Mini-workshops are accessible to all via the internet. Some are offered live-virtually so you can still interact and get your questions answered.
Once you register for a mini workshop, you’ll get an email with a link to connect, and a list of what you need to bring to the workshop.
Mini workshops are 60-120 minutes of interactive learning, followed by Q & A.
We also have a learning portal with video access to mini-workshop video content and downloadable handouts and resources. So if you can’t attend live, you can still work through the info at your own pace, with options for connecting with us to ask your specific questions!
Do you take a specific approach to your prenatal classes or teach specific methods for birth (eg. lamaze)?
The short answer is no, we don’t.
The long answer is that we do have training and certification in a number of different approaches to birth, such as Lamaze, Gentle Birthing, Bradley Method, Hypnobirthing, etc. They all have their place and contribute something important. So we take from the best of all those approaches.
Ultimately we believe that birth is both an art and a science. It is “both-and” not “either-or”. It can and does look different for every single family. There is no script to follow or storyline to conform to. We believe birth is best approached with an open mind and heart.
We want you to find the freedom and access your own inner wisdom about how you’d like to approach birth. We hope that our prenatal classes give you permission to find your way! Our goal is to equip you with many tools for your head, heart, and hands that will help you birth bravely, no matter how your birth story unfolds.
When should I take a prenatal class or mini workshop?
Most parents like to attend sometime in the 2nd trimester – and that makes sense to us too. That way you’ll still have some time to put your learning into practice.
However, it’s never too late or too early. So even if you’re 37 weeks pregnant, don’t let that stop you from coming!
How are you prenatal classes different from mini-workshops and what do you cover?
We cover a quite a bit in our in-person and online prenatal classes – all the things you absolutely need to know and then some.
However, we still find ourselves wishing we could do a whole week of extra teaching becasue there’s so much that we don’t have time to do a deep dive on. That’s where mini-workshops come in. Mini-workshops spend 1-2 hours on topics like:
- Postpartum planning and preparation
- Breastfeeding and infant feeding
- Parenting, relationships, and sexuality postpartum
- Newborn care 101
- Neuroscience of pain
- Pelvic biomechanics for birth
- Pelvic floor health during pregnancy and birth
- Perinatal mental health
- Healing from birth trauma
- Acupressure for birth
- Herbal remedies for birth and postpartum
- So much more.
Who can I bring with me?
When you register for in-person prenatal classes or mini-workshops, you are reserving a space for two people. Feel free to bring whomever you want. Ideally this person would be your birth partner or someone who will be journeying with you during childbirth. You can also bring a friend or family member. If you come on your own, that is completely fine as well.